The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. Build awareness to avoid bad outcomes from miscommunication.
- The famous Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw is quoted…as saying, "The single biggest problem with communication…"is the illusion that it has taken place."…This is what happened in one of my projects…where people thought they had communicated,…but actually it was just the illusion they had,…which dealt a costly setback.…During a conference call between a team in the U.S.,…Germany, and China, a request was made for the team…in China to make five prototypes based on a drawing.…Since the parts were fragile, they were to be packed…in a special, padded box and shipped to the U.S.…
The project leader in Germany asked,…"Are all the details clear?"…And a voice from the team in China replied, "Yes."…Then the call ended.…Three weeks later, the parts arrived in an envelope,…not a special box; and when the team in the U.S. opened it,…the parts inside were broken.…After doing some root cause analysis,…we realized not everyone had been on the same page.…The problem happened because…of the illusion Mr. Shaw talked about.…
- Explain how leadership behavior drives strong collaboration between team members.
- List three skills that help teams collaborate successfully.
- Name some of the negative effects that language, culture, and distance can have on a project.
- Determine how you can reduce the impact of time zones on collaboration.
- Recognize the differences between a high-context individual and a low-context individual.
- Define the terms “monochronic” and “polychronic”.