In this video, discover how cultural programming disrupts your communication. Also, learn the importance of context, hierarchy, and collectivism.
- Cultural misunderstandings happen all the time.…I remember one time the facilitators…and the project team players…went out for dinner to a nearby steakhouse.…When the server asked one of the team members…how he wanted his steak, he replied medium.…The next member, a Dutch engineer,…was asked how he wanted his steak and he replied large…making the server and many of the team players…crack up in laughter.…In his mind, the context being discussed for the steak…was size and not how it should be cooked.…
While you may have experienced…some funny cultural misunderstandings,…it's important to avoid these…when project tasks need to be performed correctly…by people from other cultures.…Here are a few tips.…First, remember that for many cultures,…the meaning of a word is given by the context.…In the US and in Germany for example,…we tend to use a few words to convey a message.…The meanings are implicit in the words.…However, for someone from China or Mexico,…it takes a series of additional explanations…to clarify the context in order for the meaning to be clear.…
- Recall how agreeing on a common language improves communication between global team members.
- Recognize the importance of a technical language skill level that includes relevant business vocabulary and terms.
- Explore how to correlate successful interactions with trust and respect.
- Identify obstacles to clear global communication including time zones, culture, and physical distance.
- Recall how to implement role clarity so that every team member understands their responsibilities.
- Review how the development of strong unambiguous commitments helps drive accountability.
- Explore how a one-team culture aligns everyone on the global team.
- Recognize the signs of a continuous improvement mindset in your global team.