It's important to reflect on your own and others' mistakes. In this video, learn the five most common communication mistakes made during a crisis.
- We've already covered a number … of best practices for crisis communication response. … But what are the unfortunate response practices … that you'll want to avoid? … An extensive list is far too long for us … to cover in this video. … So let's go over five common crisis response mistakes … that we see far too often. … One of the first mistakes is denying any warning signs … of trouble within your organization. … If you notice ongoing incompetence or malfeasance, … how well does your organization address these problems? … Internal issues can easily become external crises. … An organization that punishes employees … for frank conversation about what its internal problems … tend to breed more crises. … By contrast, organizations that reward problem-solving … are often better prepared to respond to incidents … before they become crises. … What are your organization's weaknesses? … How are you addressing them? … Conduct routine organizational assessments … to address issues that have the potential to become crises. …
- Define crisis.
- Explain how to respond quickly and confidently.
- Identify different audiences in crisis.
- Assess technical and physical resources.
- Describe how to establish a chain of command.
- Develop hold statements.
- Identify how to avoid common crisis response mistakes.
- Review your crisis communication response.