Learn the major characteristics of the autocratic leadership style. Autocratic leaders demonstrate a command-and-control authoritarian approach, display a high power distance, and communicate in a top-down style. Evaluate whether this style fits your approach.
- Years ago I worked for a boss who was large and in charge. … The organization was in troubled waters, … and he was hired to turn the ship around. … He used a command and control approach. … He gave orders, we followed. … He wasn't our buddy, he was the boss. … And I'll admit he took control of a bad situation … and pointed the ship in the right direction again. … He was a classic autocratic leader. … I'm wondering if you're ever worked for a boss like this, … and did you enjoy the experience? … Well let's take a closer look at the autocratic leader. … We'll consider the key characteristics, … advantages, and disadvantages of this leadership style. … To start, let's consider some key traits. … At it's core, autocratic leadership … is a boss centered, authoritarian style. … These leaders like to take control … and centralize their authority. … They don't delegate their power to their team. … Autocratic leaders also tell you what to do. … They don't look for advice or pursue consensus. …
- Summarize the advantages of an autocratic leadership style.
- Recognize the disadvantages of a democratic leadership style.
- Identify the characteristics of a servant leader.
- Determine when the inclusive leadership style should be implemented.
- List the five characteristics of authentic leaders.