Learn the characteristics of authenticity in leadership. Warren Bennis, a pillar in leadership studies, emphasized the importance of character and authenticity. Learn the value of tapping your own authenticity.
- In the past two decades, … we've seen dozens of corporate scandals. … We've watched people carefully craft … their social media image. … And we've probably felt the pressure to conform … to some cultural trend that just doesn't fit us. … In this context, … it's no surprise that so many of us crave authenticity. … We want leaders we can know and trust. … So let's look at the authentic leadership approach … to see what it has to offer. … We'll discuss what authenticity means, … look at a well-known model … and consider its benefits and drawbacks. … On the surface, authenticity is straightforward. … Authentic leaders are genuine and honest. … They don't imitate other leaders … or strive for an overly polished image. … Authenticity begins by learning who we really are. … In his book On Becoming a Leader, … Warren Bennis encouraged leaders to know thyself. … The truly original leaders inspire followers … to be who they really are. … Bill George has written numerous books on the topic … and developed a well-known authentic leadership model. …
- Summarize the advantages of an autocratic leadership style.
- Recognize the disadvantages of a democratic leadership style.
- Identify the characteristics of a servant leader.
- Determine when the inclusive leadership style should be implemented.
- List the five characteristics of authentic leaders.