The amount of time you're employed is a factor in your compensation and promotability, but it's not the only one. In this video, learn what to say when you ask for a raise or a promotion. Plus, learn what to do if your boss says no to your request.
- You want to move up or you want to make more money,…or maybe both.…You've been busting it at this job…and it's time to make the ask.…Well, maybe.…When is the right time to ask for a raise or promotion?…Unfortunately, there's no magic date.…The first mistake people make when going after a raise…or a promotion is never asking.…Yes, it's awkward, but just having the courage…to ask sets you apart from 90% of other people.…Some companies have structures for this,…like everyone gets a raise after a year,…and others have no structure.…
Another mistake a lot of people make is assuming the person…who's been there the longest is first in line.…Not the case.…The person who has proven to be the most valuable is first.…So, the time to ask is when you've demonstrated your value…for several months.…These could be things like excelling in sales numbers…or glowing customer reviews.…It can also be internally focused,…like if a no-call, no-show is really common at your store…and you've never done it, exceptional reliability…is something you can mention.…
- Identify the major financial pillars in a retail-based business.
- Prepare for your first day by overviewing staff, products, and logistics in advance.
- Recognize the high value times to speak up and ask questions.
- Recall how to prioritize and position opportunities for improvement.
- Explore how to distinguish yourself as the most valuable player in the eyes of your boss.