In this video, Dave Crenshaw defines management as the practice of getting results through other people. Learn how to use Dave's simple four-step system for delegation—why, what, who, and when.
- What does management mean to you?…In my work with coaching managers…and helping CEOs develop their managers and leaders,…I've come up with a definition that makes sense to me.…Management is getting results through other people.…This means that it's your job…to help others grow in their position,…not to do it for them.…Think of it like being a weightlifting coach.…Would the person that you're coaching get strong…if you stepped in and did all the bench presses for them?…Of course not.…
We need to step back, and let others do the work,…as we guide them and help them.…This means that as a manager, you must be effective at…not only your own time management,…but also the time management of others.…The most basic form of getting results…through other people is delegation,…meaning we ask someone to do something…and we follow up with them about it.…Your ability to effectively delegate…and follow through with others…can make or break you as a manager.…
To help you better manage your time and theirs as well,…let's explore a simple four-step system…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.