Build flexibility in your schedule by setting aside time for yourself. Learn how to structure your week so that you get into a healthy rhythm of work and personal care.
- To be an effective manager,…you must also be an effective human being.…This means creating a structure for your week…that allows you to get into a healthy rhythm…of work and taking care of yourself.…Here are a few areas to consider.…First, create your finish line.…This is the boundary line for when work ends each day.…Many managers are in salaried situations.…This provides for a more flexible work schedule.…However, flexibility doesn't mean that work is endless,…nor that you are available to be interrupted at all hours.…
When you create limitations in the hours you work,…you force yourself to be more creative, to find solutions,…and to improve the system and the tools…that you're using in the workplace, not just throwing…more working hours at a problem when something goes wrong.…If necessary, you can have two finish lines.…For example, if you manage staff overseas,…you could work until the afternoon, then take a break…for a few hours for family time and dinner,…and then return to work for another few hours…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.