Uncover how to control date or time based entries with Data Validation rules. See how to use Validation formulas for more restrictive rules based on weekdays, minutes, etc.
- [Instructor] If you're trying to control…the kinds of dates that people can put in to a worksheet,…you can use Excel's powerful Data Validation tool.…It's not called date validation, but data validation…and you'll find it on the Data tab in the ribbon.…It's called Data Validation…and typically it's designed to prevent…bad data from going into a worksheet.…Now, in this worksheet here called Data Validation…we've got some Order Dates in column A,…we haven't filled in the Shipping Dates…or the Shipping Time yet,…but we might want controls on both of these.…
Most often, but not always, before using…Data Validation you select an area…and many times it's likely to be a column.…And by selecting a column we in effect are saying…anywhere in this column we might be putting in dates.…If we go to Data Validation on the ribbon…settings tab is where we make these choices…set up the restrictions, the validation criteria…allow, and I often want this to say require,…but it says allow, if we choose date…immediately we could restrict these entries…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- How Excel records and stores dates
- Using standard date/time entries and acceptable alternatives
- Formatting dates and times
- Creating standard date/time formats
- Working with dates and times in functions
- Calculating with dates and times
- Using dates/times with Excel commands
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding the Excel Date/Time System
2. Creating Date/Time Entries
3. Formatting Dates and Times
4. Working with Dates and Times in Functions
5. Calculating with Dates and Times
6. Using Dates/Times with Excel Commands
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.