Learn how the Text to Columns command can convert 8-character numeric date entries (MDY, DMY, YMD, MYD, DYM, YDM) into usable Excel dates.
- [Instructor] Sometimes when you get data…from other sources,…you can encounter dates in unusual formats and layouts.…We're seeing that on this worksheet here.…It's called unusual formats.…And you might notice first of all before we talk about that,…that some of these cells have green triangles in them.…Those are warnings and there is a feature in Excel…that allows you to make them be visible…or you can hide them,…but they're worth noting and why they appear.…It's quite possible that if you open this same file,…maybe you're not seeing them.…Let's explain why and what they are.…
We see one in cell D4.…As I slide over that cell, click right there,…you'll see a yellow diamond with an exclamation point.…And the tip reads,…"The number in this cell is formatted as text…or preceded by an apostrophe."…Well, there's nothing really wrong with that,…but we do see that there, and the same thing down below.…Probably off to the right as well, too.…Now there could be times when you don't want to see them.…Maybe you're displaying the data for others to look at,…
- How Excel records and stores dates
- Using standard date/time entries and acceptable alternatives
- Formatting dates and times
- Creating standard date/time formats
- Working with dates and times in functions
- Calculating with dates and times
- Using dates/times with Excel commands
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding the Excel Date/Time System
2. Creating Date/Time Entries
3. Formatting Dates and Times
4. Working with Dates and Times in Functions
5. Calculating with Dates and Times
6. Using Dates/Times with Excel Commands
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.