In this video, Dave Crenshaw provides tips for using your calendar to schedule your highest priorities and positively procrastinating on your lowest priorities.
- I recently spoke with a coaching client who remarked…he didn't have enough time.…He said, "I don't have enough bandwidth."…However, what he really meant was,…I don't have enough time over the next one to two weeks.…Most people, when they feel that they have little bandwidth…or available time,…feel so because they're limiting their perspective…to just the next couple of weeks.…Yet, if you open up your calendar with the perspective…that you have the next couple of years,…suddenly you have an abundance of bandwidth.…
As a manager, everything you deal with has a deadline.…To meet or beat these deadlines,…we need to expand your calendar…by looking far ahead in your schedule.…I believe that prioritization is nothing more nor less…than a function of time.…Whatever your top priority is,…you should be doing right now.…So your top priority is watching this course, right?…Whatever is your lowest priority,…you should push off as far as possible…by scheduling in your calendar into the distant future.…
This is what I call positive procrastination.…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.