In this video, Dave Crenshaw gives tips for shifting priorities when needed. Learn how to use positive procrastination to build buffer time in your schedule to accommodate changes in schedule.
- What if emergencies happen,…and despite your best planning,…there just doesn't seem to be room to solve it.…Let me say up front, that working longer hours…should be the last resort.…As a general rule, you should establish your work schedule…and stick to it.…This leads to better long run performance…and decreased burn out.…Working as long as it takes, is actually counter productive.…It leads to inefficient decision making.…
And misses opportunities to improve work flow.…I'm not saying there are never times when it's necessary.…I'm just saying that this is the last place you should look…until all other options have been exhausted.…So, what are the other options we should be exploring?…First, hopefully you've been following what I've taught…about positive procrastination.…If you've been consistently pushing off…lowest priority items far away in your calendar,…you will have naturally built pockets of time,…usually within one to two weeks out in the future,…that are still available to handle…higher priority instances.…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.