Make sure that your team is doing work by employing the 80/20 rule. Learn how to make sure your team spend 80% of their time working, and only 20% of their time in meetings.
- To this point in the course,…we've mentioned several different meetings…that you'll be engaged in.…Group meetings, one-on-one meetings,…and even special meetings to discuss unforeseen issues.…However, you and your team also need to get…actual work done.…While meetings play a vital role…in project completion and coordination,…we also need to make sure there's plenty of time reserved…for your team to be focused on working on the project.…What is the right balance?…You're essentially aiming for the 80/20 rule…when it comes to your team members.…
This means that most of their time, 80% of it,…should be doing the work,…and about 20% of their time or less should be in meetings.…In a 40-hour work week that allots up to eight hours…for meetings including transition time.…So roughly six hours for meetings,…and 15 minutes or so to transition…mentally and physically out of each meeting.…That's the max.…The other 32 hours?…Focused, getting it done, going to work.…
On the other hand, you as the manager…need a slightly different distribution.…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.