Rules should simplify the things we do every day, not make them more complicated. If your organization has annoying policies that interfere with getting things done, learn how to kill them off with this exercise.
- Every office has at least one.…Some offices have dozens or hundreds even.…I'm talking about stupid rules.…Annoying policies that interfere with getting things done.…Rules should simplify the things we do everyday,…not make them more complicated, right?…So if you could kill all the rules that frustrate you…or slow your productivity what would they be and why?…Take 30 minutes either with your team or on your own…and make a list of stupid rules.…Be sure to choose rules that are directly related…to your business unit and your daily work,…not the larger organization.…
And think in terms of red rules and green rules.…Red rules are government mandated and industry regulated.…You'd go to jail if you killed those rules.…Don't touch them.…Everything else is a green rule…and it's fair game to kill.…There's a good chance that most of the rules…that you list aren't actually rules.…They're just annoying processes that we assume are rules.…Some are probably created by leaders…who aren't even at the company anymore…and are out of date.…
Lisa begins with a quick diagnostic exercise to identify areas of complexity in your workday. Next, she explains how to get simplification started, like auditing how your team spends time and pinpointing redundancies and time-wasting activities. Finally, Lisa provides actionable steps for simplifying everyday work like email, meetings, business processes, decision-making, and more.
- Identifying unnecessary complexity
- Auditing your workday
- Establishing productive habits
- Simplifying emails and meetings
- Streamlining decision-making