In this video, Dave Crenshaw gives tips that focus on the time management aspect of project management. Learn how to prioritize the big picture, map out all your tasks, communicate more frequently with other teams, and creating systems to increase efficiency.
- On a personal level,…time management is fairly straightforward.…Tasks line up,…you schedule time to complete them, and you repeat.…If you just have one project…that you're working on at any given time,…the rules are essentially the same.…However, if you're a manager with responsibility…for multiple, simultaneous projects,…then time management takes on…a whole new level of complexity.…We need to adapt.…For detailed training in project management,…there are a variety of valuable courses here in the library.…
In this video, I'll cover tips that are focused…on the time management aspect of project management.…Tip one, prioritize the big picture.…Priority is a function of time…and that means we need to establish a priority in advance…based upon due dates, based upon the calendar.…Let's say that we have three different projects…that we're being asked to complete.…This means we need to have a conversation…with our supervisors…and ask what is the expected deadline for each.…
Also, I recommend asking,…"When is the absolute latest that this needs to get done?"…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Manage expectations.
- Invest in a training mindset.
- Successfully coordinate multiple long-term projects.
- Communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Manage your calendar efficiently.
- Balance work and fun.
- Hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Keep meetings action-focused.