Management is achieving results through others, but it also involves following up to make sure that you achieve your targeted results. In this video, Dave Crenshaw gives tips for holding other accounting for deadlines.
- If management is getting results through other people,…then that means that as managers,…we're going to spend a lot of time following up…to make sure others are getting those results,…especially when it comes to deadlines.…I want to share with you a process…that my coaching clients have found effective…when it comes to following up with others.…First, let's recap just a few steps that you need to take…when delegating to someone else.…Number one, when delegating, create clear deadlines.…Number two, create a reminder for yourself…and put that reminder into an approved gathering point.…
Then three, set that reminder to occur…after the time it was due, typically the day after.…Now, if the person that you've got something delegated to…got it done on time, then you feel relief, right?…Your only follow-up may be to say thank you.…But what if they didn't complete the task?…What if they didn't meet the deadline?…The first thing to keep in mind?…Don't be surprised.…While not professional behavior,…this in, in fact, fairly normal,…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.