In this video, Dave Crenshaw talks about establishing a sanctuary and using it to develop focus. Learn to create a place that is free of all digital distractions so that you can improve your focus.
- If you've ever watched a martial arts movie,…where an apprentice goes to a master…to learn the martial art, you'll know that there's…a training room, or a dojo, a special place set aside…for them to work together.…When it comes to your digital focus,…how can you create that sort of environment?…Particularly, when it seems like everything…is constantly assaulting us.…We're constantly being interrupted…by beeps and buzzes and noises.…Comedian, Joe Zimmerman, once commented…that he lost his phone and then experienced joy…for the first time since childhood.…
Now, that's an exaggeration, but to a degree,…that's the reality that we're experiencing.…How can we create this digital-free zone…without having to lose our phones?…First, you can schedule an hour…or a day of the week…that you set aside, where you are not going…to use technology.…It's simply a time where you're going to turn off the phone…or the computer.…I have a coaching client who calls these monk days.…And she establishes them well in advance,…in her calendar, on a monthly basis.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Discover multiple strategies to improve your focus.
- Protect your ability to focus by learning to use technology intelligently.
- Analyze how to process new tasks economically.
- Avoid distractions in a digital world.
- Learn how to make time for others.
- Identify how to build a mental firewall to sustain focus.
- Define clear boundaries and expectations.
- Assess how and when you prioritize tasks.