Learn how to give your highest priority activities more time. In this video, Dave Crenshaw give tips for delegating work, removing bottlenecks, and looking for effective shortcuts so that you can devote your time to the work that really matters.
- Have you ever heard of the Eisenhower Matrix?…It's a little graph originally used…by US President Dwight Eisenhower,…and made popular by Stephen R. Covey.…It's the idea that by looking at what's urgent…versus not urgent.…And important versus not important,…you can decide what needs to be done.…It was a great model in past decades,…when we had an abundance of time…very few interruptions and people…had the luxury of sitting down…and categorizing their tasks before performing them.…
In our day however,…the model has lost most of its value.…Largely because the pace of information,…and the rate of interruptions that we're assaulted with.…Everything is urgent,…and nearly everything screams important at us, right?…The pace of life has essentially shoved…us into a corner and seemingly limited our options.…Time has suddenly become our enemy.…If you ask people how they're doing,…many will say I'm busy.…
This is shorthand for everything…in my life is coming at me at once and I can't keep up.…I don't have enough time.…Let me offer you the alternative…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.