What do yellow CAUTION tape, default calendar settings, and morning priorities have in common? They’re just a few of Lisa Bodell’s favorite tips for simplifying and saving time like a pro.
- In a recent survey, Harvard Business Review…found that most employees have no time in their workday…for creative thinking or to focus on meaningful work.…This probably doesn't surprise you…and it's why I'm on a mission to help people do less…soul-sucking busy work and more stuff that matters.…I want to share some of my favorite simplification…and time saving tips.…The first is to pick up your phone to resolve any topic…that isn't decided after three emails.…Actually talking to people is a much faster way…to make decisions and get things done.…
Another tip is to shift your weekly calls…to every two weeks.…A division at HBO tried it and this one change…saved participants several hours each week…and improved the quality and information they exchanged.…The third tip is to adjust the standard settings…for new events on your office calendar…from one hour to 30 minutes and only change it…if a meeting really needs more time to achieve its goal.…Wrap caution tape around your department or cubicles…at designated times, like they do…
Lisa begins with a quick diagnostic exercise to identify areas of complexity in your workday. Next, she explains how to get simplification started, like auditing how your team spends time and pinpointing redundancies and time-wasting activities. Finally, Lisa provides actionable steps for simplifying everyday work like email, meetings, business processes, decision-making, and more.
- Identifying unnecessary complexity
- Auditing your workday
- Establishing productive habits
- Simplifying emails and meetings
- Streamlining decision-making