Deadlines establish expectation for everyone on your team. Learn how to successfully set deadlines and communicate your expectations so that your team is more productive.
- At the beginning of every project…is a decision that can make or break its long-term success.…The date you set for completion is critical,…because it establishes expectations for everyone.…Yet, perhaps not surprisingly, the date and the expectation…we set is perhaps the most common area where errors occur.…And an error, here, has significant consequences.…In this video, I want to cover two areas…where you can have more success…in establishing project deadlines:…discussion, and scheduling.…
First, let's talk about the discussion.…When we're having a conversation about the deadline,…view it from the perspective of the other person.…Your supervisor, your boss, even the person you're managing.…Consider their viewpoint,…especially by exploring the 'why' behind the project.…It's been said that with people we respect,…we tell them why a thing should be done.…Yet with people we don't respect,…we simply tell them what to do.…By taking the time to explore the reason…why we're doing this project,…and taking the time to ask questions…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.