Learn how to communicates changes in deadlines. In this video, Dave Crenshaw covers three tips for making sure your team members know about date changes. He covers, regularly checking in, engaging in candid discussions, and notifying your supervisors of potential conflicts.
- In even the best planned projects,…we'll run into obstacles.…When these arise, it's vital for everyone…to be updated, and consider alternatives,…or options we can take to get back on schedule.…These are the moments when time management…and communication intersect.…You'll be able to stay more organized and efficient…if you spend a little extra time coordinating…and updating each other on a consistent basis.…Here are a few areas to consider.…
Regularly check in every meeting.…Whenever you get together with team members,…whether it's as a group or in a one-to-one,…you'll want to briefly reassess and recommit…to the deadline.…Ask the team where they're at and…ask if they foresee any problems.…If you see any hesitation, avoid pushing through,…or saying something like, "Can you make it happen?"…This leads to overcommitment, and surprisingly…missed deadlines.…Rather ask them something like,…"I see some hesitation.…
"What obstacle do you see?"…Then work with them to see if you can overcome…those obstacles together.…Encourage candid discussion.…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.