Learn to quickly tabulate time differences across multiple days and display the time in the [h]:mm format.
- [Instructor] There's no special function…for calculating time differences,…but a simple subtraction will suffice.…On this worksheet called time differences,…we've got some starting times in column A,…some end times in column B,…how much time has elapsed here.…Now when you are calculating differences,…there will be those times when the answer you get…certainly is correct but the display is misleading.…As with dates we put in the latter time first…minus the earlier time.…And we get an answer.…But surely we don't want the PM to be there,…so a quick fix by way of control 1,…is simply to go to the time category…and choose the entry 13:30.…
This is the choice that does not show the AM, PM.…Right there, 13:30.…And that's just fine.…I'll double click to copy this down the column,…and we see the results.…Now these are all within the same day,…and that's quite common.…But sometimes you do need to calculate time lapses…over multiple days.…Notice the entry in cell F2 and in F3.…By the way, when you're typing the entry…the way you see it here in cell F2, you can type that.…
- How Excel records and stores dates
- Using standard date/time entries and acceptable alternatives
- Formatting dates and times
- Creating standard date/time formats
- Working with dates and times in functions
- Calculating with dates and times
- Using dates/times with Excel commands
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding the Excel Date/Time System
2. Creating Date/Time Entries
3. Formatting Dates and Times
4. Working with Dates and Times in Functions
5. Calculating with Dates and Times
6. Using Dates/Times with Excel Commands
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.