Managers are responsible for allocating and distributing scarce resources - time, people, and space. In this video, Dave Crenshaw teaches the principles of keeping your expectations realistic, assessing and reassessing capacity, and communicating with our leaders.
- As a manager, part of your job is to allocate,…or distribute, scarce resources.…What are these resources?…Well, they include the time of your people, and yourself.…Perhaps even meeting rooms.…They include your budget, in terms of money,…and perhaps, production materials.…And they include tools,…such as software, computers, or machinery.…When it comes to using specific software tools…for tracking resources in your company,…I recommend that you go through the associated tutorials,…here on the library.…
However, in this video, I want…to cover three general principles to help managers…stay on top of these resources.…Principle number one, is live within your means.…We want to keep expectations realistic.…We understand that principle, when it comes to money,…on a personal level, right?…When we go into debt with money, we must repay…that money with interest.…It always costs us more when we go into debt.…
Well, the same is true with time.…If we go into debt, timewise, by over-committing…the resources we have available,…
In this course, best-selling author Dave Crenshaw offers managers at all levels practical strategies for efficient time management. Dave covers time management best practices for managing people, including delegating tasks, managing expectations, and establishing productive one-on-one meetings. He also provides helpful tips for managing projects, including how to coordinate multiple projects, allocate scarce resources, hold a team accountable to deadlines, and communicate deadline changes when necessary. Additionally, Dave covers how to manage priorities, including using your calendar as a prioritization tool, keeping your meetings action-focused, and shifting priorities when the need arises.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify how to delegate tasks effectively.
- Develop a training mindset.
- Discover how to manage expectations.
- Plan multiple long-term projects.
- Discover how to communicate changes to avoid delays.
- Determine how to prioritize time between meetings and work.
- Demonstrate how to manage your calendar efficiently.
- Identify the correct balance between work and fun.
- Determine how to hold others accountable to deadlines.
- Organize meetings and keep them action-focused.