Join Arianna Huffington for an in-depth discussion in this video The story of Thrive Global, part of Thriving @ Work: Leveraging the Connection between Well-Being and Productivity.
- So, Arianna Huffington, who some of you are familiar with, is the founder of our company and Arianna had a wake-up call one day. She had founded the Huffington Post, and was in the middle of really driving this business to the success that the Huffington Post is now, and if you were to ask her, "How are you doing, Arianna?" She would have said, "Fine." And believed it, and really felt like she was fine. But what had happened is she'd become accustomed to a certain way of working that wasn't conscious.
It was long hours, not eating the way she probably wanted to eat, not exercising, but really driving towards this, you know, success from a corporate perspective. And one day she was working at her desk, stood up and literally just passed out. Fell over, hit her cheek on the edge of the desk, broke her cheek, and in the subsequent test at the hospital, and doctors and experts and all kinds of MRIs, all the things that you do when something like that happens, the ultimate answer from everyone and every expert out there was, you're just tired.
Your body is exhausted. And that was a huge wake-up call for her because she wouldn't have known it, she didn't recognize it, but it was the beginning of a journey for her which was more around, I still want to be successful at the Huffington Post. I still want to drive a great business. How do I do both? Is that possible? And that journey was the genesis of Thrive and first the book and now the organization. What we are attempting to shift in corporate culture now is this idea that if you take better care of yourself, you will actually perform at a higher level.
The clients that we talk to are clients that are in businesses where the people who work for them are high achievers. We don't work for spa companies right ow. I mean, people who want to just relax or be on an island, or vacation, so far they haven't come to us. We're getting the Accentures, the Hiltons, the JP Morgans, the Ali Babas, the companies where they're driving to a certain level of success. And people are trying to figure it out.
You know, I'm a working mother, I have kids. I'm working a pretty, you know, high impact job at Accenture, how do I balance all of that and still have the success I want in my life? And that's what we're about. How do you create balance in the midst of what is, you know, significant jobs and significant roles?
- The importance of well-being
- Bringing your whole self to work
- Knowing your boundaries and limitations
- Investing in your relationships
- Working towards your strengths
- Knowing when to say no
- Holding yourself accountable to change