An example technique of a reluctant buyer is when they say, "I'm just inquiring about prices." Keep in mind that it may not be true. Appearing reluctant could easily be a tactic, so think about their weaknesses and stay strong. Walk away if you have to—you can always come back.
- [Instructor] Next is a tactic that does amuse me.…I don't know, I just find it funny when I use it…or see it being used,…but it is pretty effective…and it's known as reluctant buyer.…Also occasionally, it can also be reluctant seller.…A bit like knocking the product, the idea is…that you claim you're reluctant to buy…the product or service.…You might claim that you're not quite ready…or that your boss or husband or wife…won't like it if you spend the money.…You've already got five tennis rackets…and you really shouldn't be getting another one.…
Or, you're not very keen to face the upheaval of…getting a new website and you quite like your old one.…Whatever you want to come up with to not look keen.…Your general line is,…I don't really want to buy but okay then.…If the price is really, really enticing…then you might be tempted even though you shouldn't.…The reluctant seller is a bit more tricky to justify…but I do it with training courses.…(laughs) I shouldn't really be telling you this.…I do it by saying that my diary is already really full…
- Why we avoid negotiating
- When you should think about negotiating
- Planning your negotiation
- Calculating your opening offer
- Leveraging different negotiation tactics
- How to trade
- Determining if you should walk away
Skill Level Beginner
Negotiating Your Leadership Successwith Elizabeth Robillard1h 20m Intermediate
1. Decide to Negotiate
2. Planning Your Negotiation
3. Opening Offers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.