Succeeding at office politics and being authentic may seem mutually exclusive. But in this video tutorial, Dorie shows how you’ll actually go further by being yourself and helping others in your company do the same. She explains how to change your mindset and find the right balance when sharing details about your life.
- People can spot a phony a mile away…and especially in our Internet fueled era,…where people can constantly research…and fact check everything.…If you try to have too radically different sides…to your personality or your life, it'll backfire.…Instead, you can be authentic and thrive at work.…Here's how to do it.…Questions about authenticity in office politics…are really tricky.…Some people who embrace the necessity…of office politics thinks that authenticity…is a terrible move, and if you don't mask yourself a bit,…you'll be constantly out-maneuvered…by even more Machiavellian players.…
Meanwhile, some people go to the opposite extreme…and embrace authenticity…but think that office politics…exemplify the worst and sleaziest elements of human nature…and strive to avoid them all together,…but the truth is, there's a middle path.…Office politics may be a loaded phrase…with bad connotations, but essentially,…it means being aware of interpersonal dynamics at work…and trying to accomplish things…while keeping that reality in mind,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building social proof and goodwill
- Exhibiting authenticity
- Defining your workplace goals
- Identifying key decision makers
- Strengthening relationships
- Identifying company values
- Connecting your colleagues