Be proactive and propose a plan for how you could help with the change. If you can't influence the shape of the new structure you might be able to influence your position in the new setup – go to your boss, or maybe the top boss. Hear a true story of going to the big boss to say that a change was a problem.
- When a new change is announced,…most people will wait and see for a bit.…Is it going to really happen?…Is it going to become permanent?…Who's lining up in favor and against?…But what if you were the first person to embrace it?…You could be right in there,…influencing what happens and getting all the best bits.…If you're the one organizing the office move,…then you are more likely to get the desk by the window.…And at least you'll know the inside track…for things like how to get a parking space.…You might be able to influence…how many printers we get, and what kind of desks.…
This is definitely better than just complaining afterwards.…So if the chance comes up, be brave,…get in there first, volunteer to be part…of planning the change, of making it happen.…And show that you're a person with ideas.…This might require having the courage…to go to the top person and offer your services.…But it can only be good to tell them…that you'd like to be involved,…that it's something you're interested in.…Years ago, I worked for a company who made helicopters.…
- Why we dislike change
- Planning for change
- Developing mental toughness
- Maximizing your interpersonal skills
- Setting long-term career goals
- Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
- What to consider if you're thinking of leaving your job
- Building up your network
- How to be low maintenance employee
- Establishing goals and plans with a new boss
- How to deal with a bad boss
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand and Prepare for Change
4. New Initiatives or Mergers
5. New Roles, Teams, and Location
The benefits of a new role3m 25s
6. New Boss
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.