Learn the five phases of a Six Sigma project – Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control – or DMAIC. In the define phase, the team is selected, the project is launched, and what is important to customers is defined. The measure phase focuses on assessing the size and scope of the problem by gathering data. The data is then analyzed and solutions are developed to improve the problem. The last phase of a Six Sigma project focuses on making improvement sustainable.
- Every Six Sigma project has five phases.…Those phases are Define, Measure, Analyze,…Improve, and Control.…Or D-M-A-I-C or DMAIC for short.…In this movie, we are going to walk through each phase.…To clearly understand each phase,…we are going to use, again,…the experience of calling a cable company for installation.…In this example, the earliest a technician can come…is 10 working days from today.…
We are told that a technician will show up sometime…between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.…As customers, our immediate questions are…why does it take so long…and why so much uncertainty…as to when the technician shows up?…With that example as our backdrop,…let's explore the five phases.…First up, we have Define.…In the Define phase, the project is defined,…the project team is selected,…and management launches the Six Sigma project.…
The team is tasked with understanding…what is important to customers…and determine the performance outcome to be improved.…In Six Sigma, the performance outcome to be improved…is known as the Y, as in Y is a function of x.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is Six Sigma?
- Understanding key concepts such as Y = f(x) and sigma level
- Selecting Six Sigma projects and team members
- Planning in the Define phase
- Gathering data in the Measure phase
- Analyzing data in the Analyze phase
- Selecting and evaluating solutions in the Improve phase
- Developing a control plan in the Control phase
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Six Sigma
2. Key Concepts in Six Sigma
3. Selection of Six Sigma Projects
4. Define Phase
5. Measure Phase
6. Analyze Phase
7. Improve Phase
8. Control Phase
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.