This video provides an overview of the process. That is, bullying is an organizational norm, so rather than focus on removing bullying the focus should be replacing it with good behavior, or, culture change.
- Organizational culture is the way…an organization's members think, act,…and understand the world around them.…Culture dictates our values, beliefs,…and what we consider normal.…And these things, so ingrained in our head…we don't even know they are there,…manifest themselves in our behavior.…For example, Asian cultures respect seniority,…hierarchy, and power.…This is a value, and it manifests itself in their behavior.…If you are visiting China, you might notice that when…you and your boss provide your business cards,…the boss' business card would be placed on top of yours.…
Hierarchy is valued, and this is one example…of how the value manifests in behavior.…Well, your organization's culture dictates…employees' values, beliefs, and norms, too.…And those things manifest themselves…in the behaviors of you and your peers.…Unfortunately, sometimes the culture manifests in bullying.…Researchers have found, for example,…that organizations where there are a lot of rules…have bullying, and so do those with many long-time…
She defines the key differences between conflict, harassment, and bullying, and helps you assess the prevalence of bullying in your organization. You'll learn the importance of stepping in to stop it, and coaching those identified as bullies. Catherine also highlights the role leadership plays in exemplifying the right behavior and being transparent about supporting a healthy workplace. To create a positive workplace that's free from bullying, she suggests a healthy workplace corporate policy, tying positive behavior to corporate values, ongoing training, and the use of performance management.
- Bullying vs. harassment vs. conflict
- The costs of workplace bullying
- Assessing the prevalence of bullying in your organization
- Stepping in to stop bullying
- Implementing a corporate policy
- Implementing training programs
- Leading a culture change initiative to effectively prevent bullying