Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Is it worth it to have a lawyer?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- So, having a lawyer is actually really really important…because so much of when money is changing hands…between companies, they want to have documents…that state what that money's for…and how it's supposed to be handled.…It's like that's just the way businesses work.…So, it's really important to have a lawyer…because everything, you can't always just download something…off the internet and think that it's okay to use…for the circumstance that you're in because lawyers.…
That's their whole job.…Just like a programmer has their job…and if you're not a programmer, the amount of stuff…that you don't understand is vast.…Likewise with lawyers.…You may understand some things but there are a lot…of particular wordings and stipulations that lawyers need…to put in contracts that will protect them…during a lawsuit later down the road…if it ever gets to that point.…So, a judge will look at something and say,…but it says right here that you can't blah blah blah.…What are we doing, you know.…
Like if you protect yourself in that way,…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)