Empathy at work is crucial to company-wide success. When coworkers feel comfortable and confident speaking openly to one another, employees feel like they matter. They also feel safe; if and when they make a mistake, they know their empathetic coworkers won't place blame but will try to help. When empathy is the cornerstone of company communication, the quality of work in the office is higher.
- When most people think of empathy…they think about not hurting people's feelings…or being forced to like someone…that's very different from them.…Well, that's just not the case,…especially when it comes to being empathetic at work.…So let's talk about three big things…that empathy can help you achieve in the office.…First, peer to peer collaboration will improve…because we're attempting to feel what the other person feels…in order to understand and engage with them.…Second, when there's an emphasis on building…solid, professional relationships,…team members are happier and empathy thrives.…
And lastly, when those at the top of the pyramid…make empathy a core value, managers are better leaders.…So first, let's talk about collaboration.…Studies have shown that teams that are…the most collaborative, speak up equally in meetings.…This is possible because each of the team members…are engaging in empathetic practices or perspective taking.…Team members trust each other enough…to communicate freely yet respectfully.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is empathy?
- How to be empathetic at work
- Practicing positive communication
- Identifying communication styles
- Approaching difficult conversations
- Practicing empathy in groups
- Fostering collaboration
- Encouraging coworkers