Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video The difference between comprehension and retention, part of Speed Reading Fundamentals.
- In this video, I want to discuss the…difference between comprehension and retention…because some people think they're the same.…There's a subtle difference between them.…Comprehension is what you're understanding as…you're reading the material in that present moment.…Retention is what you remember later on.…For example, you might be reading a novel…and enjoying in that present moment, that's comprehension.…What if someone asked you later on what it was about?…What if you had a test on the details of the novel?…Have you ever had the experience where you get to a…certain question on a test, and your mind just goes blank?…Sometimes it's at a point where you know the answer,…you're just having trouble remembering it.…
It's as if the answer is on the tip of your tongue.…Well, this is not an issue with comprehension,…this is an issue with retention,…your ability to recall information.…Isn't it true that sometimes we can have great…comprehension and then absolutely horrible retention?…That's why it's important for us to note…
The course then focuses on improving comprehension by understanding how memory works, practicing the "read and recall" method, and breaking down technical terms. The final chapter introduces some advanced tips and strategies for reading different types of media: news and magazine articles, textbooks, technical material, and ebooks.
- Measuring your reading speed
- Reading faster on the computer
- Reading groups of words
- Previewing and overviewing
- Improving comprehension and retention
- Understanding the 80/20 principle of reading
- Reading magazines, textbooks, diagrams, and ebooks