Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video No-brainer calculations, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- Waiting line calculations can be…simple or extremely complex.…It really depends on the system.…How many lines, how many workers.…Can customers leave the line?…Can customers switch lines?…Complex systems require complex calculations.…But no matter how simple or complex,…the two most important variables to consider are…customer arrival rate, how often do customers join the line?…And employee service rate, how many customers…can the employee help in a given period of time?…If we know those two things we have the key ingredients…in almost any waiting line formula.…
Let's first calculate the percentage of…time a worker is busy.…The percentage of time a worker is busy…is equal to the customer arrival rate…divided by the employee service rate.…So if six customers arrive per hour…and our employee can help eight customers in an hour,…we would divide six per hour by eight per hour.…In this case, our one worker is busy 75% of the time.…If we hired a second worker, they would split up the work.…
Each of the two workers would be busy 37.5% of the time.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.