Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the show-offs, part of Managing Employee Performance Problems.
- If you're a normal person,…you feel joy for others when they achieve a milestone…or maybe when they win an award, usually.…There's one interesting group of folks…who love to self-aggrandize so much…that feeling good for them becomes quite difficult.…Say hello to the show-off.…Show-offs are different than the overly…ambitious employee discussed earlier.…Serious overachievers sometimes boast…about their accomplishments, but not always,…and they usually don't wanna cause trouble.…They just have self-awareness issues.…The show-offs are more interesting.…
They tend to be modest performers,…and, yes, sometimes below-average performers,…who hold irrationally inflated views of themselves.…When they do anything, it's a huge win,…a time for celebration, and they're aware of their behavior.…In fact, many times their behavior is designed…to show others how they're superior.…There are many ways to show off.…For example, usurping power.…The show-offs love to assume positions of power…and leadership whenever possible,…disregarding the existence of more qualified individuals.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining the appropriate intervention
- Defusing charged conversations
- Refocusing slackers
- Getting employees to show up on time
- Redirecting habitual complainers
- Engaging employees that always resist change
- Standing up to bullies
- Encouraging employees that can't handle feedback
- Helping people with personal problems
- Dealing with gossips
- Knowing when to say goodbye to an employee<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.