Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with procurement, part of Project Management Foundations: Procurement.
- Can you remember what it was like playing in a sandbox?…It could be a lot of fun, or horrible, depending on…whether you like the people in the sandbox with you.…Working with procurement can be similar.…You can work together and create a wonderful sandcastle,…or you can throw sand at one another,…making it a really bad experience.…Let's explore ways to ensure you're creating…a work of art with your procurement team.…First of all, you need to understand…what your procurement team is responsible for,…as it can vary from company to company.…
It's best not to assume you know…their scope or responsibilities.…Second, get to know them.…Think of the procurement team as…an extension of your project team.…Go meet them, so you can share…how you operate as a project manager,…how they like to operate, and how they make decisions,…and who makes those decisions.…Building a relationship with them…before you dive into critical procurement activities…can be very helpful when you need things…to move along efficiently on your project.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define project procurement.
- Distinguish when to use vendors and partners.
- Compare and contrast building versus buying.
- Identify different types of contracts.
- List types of payment approaches.
- Test your market.
- Build and use a request for information (RFI).