Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Why is original IP development important?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- The reason why you want to create original IP…is because original IP puts value in your company.…It's also far more exciting to create something original…than to make someone else's intellectual property.…When you think about it,…the time that you are spending making games,…you should be spending that time…making your stuff more valuable.…Why would you make someone else's…property more valuable when you…should be doing it for yourself?…Companies will come to you, possibly,…and want to pay you to make a game…with their intellectual property.…
That's fine, do it as a work-for-hire,…and try to make as much money as you can…during the development of the game.…But always know that the amount…of time you're spending doing that…is for someone else's value.…It's not to build your value, as a company,…for some future acquisition or whatever.…But it's important to build your own IP…because that can turn into some amazing stuff.…As an example, look at Wolfenstein, DOOM, and Quake.…Those are games that we created as a single game.…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)