This video will describe where risk lies, within the open spaces between where you are now and where you want to take risk.
- I consult and speak to large corporations…about Silicon Valley's unique risk taking culture.…And the one question that consistently comes up is,…"How should I see risk?"…As an answer I ask leaders to picture a large…and majestic oak tree in the heat of a warm summer day.…At first you just see the tree casting…in it's solid shadow on the ground below…but on closer examination,…if you open up your imagination…you can start to notice how a tree…might exemplify almost any organization.…
Think about it,…the trunk of the tree is the cultural foundation…of the organization.…The branches extending from the trunk…represent the lines of business,…such as products and services.…The thinner branches that grow out of the extending branches…symbolize the potential extent of the organization's growth…in as many directions as possible.…Look even closer and you'll notice…that most of the space occupied by the tree…is actually the air between it's branches and leaves.…
It is this space around the tree that dictates…the tree's shape and it's room for future growth.…
Once you as a leader have figured out how and when to take risks, you can then build a culture that not only focuses on producing great work, but also on creating and executing a steady flow of ideas to improve every aspect of the organization. Watch this course to enhance the relevance and marketability of your business and your career.
- What is risk?
- What role does risk play in leadership?
- Assessing your risk-taking style
- Understanding your organization's risk tolerance
- Defining risk-takers
- Cultivating smart risk-taking behavior
- Modeling risk-taking leadership