Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Where to go for help when things go wrong, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- What you need to do is start networking,…as fast as possible.…Because people in the game industry…have a lot of different experiences.…When you're running into a problem,…making games or running your company,…or having a problem with a company that you're dealing with,…you want to have people at the, you know,…on your, at your fingertips basically,…to contact and ask questions about.…The best thing you can do is try to contact someone…that is directly connected to what your problem is.…
If it is, let's say, a company,…and you're having problems with that company,…or you don't know what's going on in the company,…it's great if you know someone in the company.…If you can get, you know, basically,…find someone who's in there through LinkedIn.…There's a lot of times where I needed to contact someone…in the company, and I didn't know anyone there…so I'd basically go to LinkedIn,…I looked through all of my connections,…and I find somebody,…and I connect with them,…and now I can ask them: Who's the right guy to go to?…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.