This video defines bullying and discuss the behaviors that "count" as bullying. Examples are provided.
- View Offline
- Everywhere you turn,…it seems there is yet another news story…about bullying in schools and the resulting aftermath.…We also see news stories of politicians…who bully each other,…their staff and their interns,…and unfortunately not as public,…but certainly as widespread,…are thousands of stories of people who are bullied…by their own co-workers or bosses.…Are your employees one of the people with this story?…Workplace bullying is repeated abuse…that creates a psychological power imbalance…between bullies and targets.…This imbalance in power makes it difficult,…if not impossible,…for targets to stand up for themselves.…
As a result,…targets and witnesses of bullying behavior…develop psychological problems,…such as stress, anxiety, and depression,…and this results in physical problems,…such as headaches, heart problems, and more.…Of course, in the workplace,…this results in reduced work productivity…and quality of work.…Customer service, job satisfaction,…and relationships all suffer.…To be clear,…bullying is not about have a bad day or instability,…
She defines the key differences between conflict, harassment, and bullying, and helps you assess the prevalence of bullying in your organization. You'll learn the importance of stepping in to stop it, and coaching those identified as bullies. Catherine also highlights the role leadership plays in exemplifying the right behavior and being transparent about supporting a healthy workplace. To create a positive workplace that's free from bullying, she suggests a healthy workplace corporate policy, tying positive behavior to corporate values, ongoing training, and the use of performance management.
- Bullying vs. harassment vs. conflict
- The costs of workplace bullying
- Assessing the prevalence of bullying in your organization
- Stepping in to stop bullying
- Implementing a corporate policy
- Implementing training programs
- Leading a culture change initiative to effectively prevent bullying