Join Stefan Michel for an in-depth discussion in this video What is service innovation?, part of Service Innovation.
- If you search the internet,…you will find many different definitions…for service innovation.…My own definition is simple and very broad.…A service innovation changes the way…a customer is served.…Service innovations take place across all industries…and around the world.…Of course, this involves service firms,…but product-based firms can also develop…service innovations.…Think about Apple and how iTunes has revolutionized…the way we buy music.…With my definition, I include both private customers,…for example, a Barnes and Noble shopper,…and organizational business-to-business customers…like Netflix buying cloud services from Amazon.…
The key to service innovation is that it changes…the way the customer is served.…And within this definition, we can distinguish…between four levels of service innovations.…The first level improves an attribute…or a feature of an existing service.…For example, Bank of America invited its clients…to enroll in their Keep the Change program.…With every purchase made with a debit card,…
Once you understand service innovation in its different forms, you can design and implement your own innovations. Each chapter combines real-world case studies with a methodological framework to help you become a better "idea hunter" for service innovation. After you identify an innovative model, you will learn how to align and execute your innovation by applying the customer star model and by embedding your innovation approach in your overall business strategy.
- What is service innovation?
- Innovating by relieving and enabling customers
- Linking attributes, benefits, and values
- Innovating value constellations
- Innovating outside your firm
- Designing around the customer's need with customer stars