Proposals, quotes, and statements of work (also known as SOWs) are the smaller documents the creative industries run on. What are these documents and how do they relate to contracts? In this movie, author Seth Polanksy explains what proposals, quotes, and SOWs are and how they are used in the creative industries.
- I'd like to begin this section with a cartoon…that a very good friend of mine drew for me.…This is the very first statement of work…ever written by cavemen on the cave wall.…As you can see, it's pretty rudimentary.…So are these types of documents.…In many ways, these are the smaller documents…the industry runs on.…They are ubiquitous and often erroneously,…they're substituted for full-fledged contracts.…Proposals, quotes, and statements of work or…SOW's for short, are both the precursors…to and the end result of business agreements.…
We've all been there.…We've had a great meeting or animated…conversation over drinks that result…in a send me a quote and proposal…and we'll see if we can't get you going…on this project.…Everyone's got a template.…In fact, it's pretty easy to download a proposal…or quote template for Excel or Numbers.…So that's what most people do.…And as we've discussed, if you've offered…and they've accepted, and you've mutually understood…the conversation, you've got a contract.…But that's where the problems begin.…
Disclaimer: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Why do you need a contract?
- Types of contracts
- Asking for an NDA
- Work-for-hire and contractor agreements
- Proposals, quotes, and statements of work
- Licensing agreements
- Delivery and payment terms