How does programme management differ from project management? What constitutes a resource? Learn about the differences between programmes and projects and how outcomes and outputs differ in each.
- If we're going to look at…resource management across projects,…we're really talking about programs.…A program is a collection of related projects,…so managing a program is similar to managing a project,…but it's at a higher level in that you're dealing with…bigger numbers and longer timescales usually.…There are training courses in program management,…which usually cost more than the ones on project management,…and there's this implication that program management…is somehow different and more difficult.…
But I think the problems are pretty much the same.…If you look at a project from the point of view…of the work breakdown structure, it's like this.…Then, the program has exactly the same shape…just zoomed out a level.…This would be called a program work breakdown structure.…In fact, I don't think it's clear where the borderline is…between a project or a program because it's a continuum.…For example, organizing the Olympic Games…could be considered a large project,…or a collection of projects forming a program…
- What is program management?
- Planning from the bottom up vs. top down
- Resource planning
- Managing projects, resources, and time
- Getting the staff you need
- Self-organizing teams