See what sets a good manager apart from a great manager. Plus, learn what qualities your managers need to have to serve as great leaders in your organization.
- He's such a great manager.…That's the phrase you've probably heard…or even said yourself.…But what does this mean?…What sets a great manager apart from a good manager?…What exactly do they do that…earns them a spot on this elite list?…I've worked with hundreds of leaders and have found…that the biggest difference between those that are good…and those that are great is their willingness…to treat people as individuals.…They discover what is unique about a person…and then they focus on this person's strength.…
Here's an example of this,…I was coaching a sales executive who we'll call Jack.…He had a top sales performer who sold…just as much on his own…as the rest of the team put together.…However, when it came to getting paperwork done…he was a disaster.…I asked Jack how he wished to proceed…and here's what he said,…if I put my top sales performer on a performance plan,…because he's always late with his paperwork,…then most likely his productivity will drop…and he may resign.…
Instead I'll lobby for an additional staff member…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes a manager effective?
- What managers seek from their employers
- Coaching versus mentoring
- Determining whether to use internal or external resources
- Helping managers take control of their learning
- Creating a management training strategy
- Measuring the effectiveness of your program
- Avoiding common management development mistakes