Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video What makes employees difficult?, part of Managing Employee Performance Problems.
- One important part of being a leader is…dealing with the tough situations.…One of the toughest is effectively…dealing with difficult employees.…A difficult employee is a person…who creates consistently unacceptable work…or consistently shows inappropriate behaviors…that harm productivity and morale for you and your team.…I'm not referring to a person…who on occasion rubs you the wrong way.…Here, we're targeting employees who regularly…cause tensions with multiple or many people.…This type of person represents a genuine threat…to team chemistry and comradery,…and you have to deal with them.…
In fact, you've got three main motivations…to learn how to deal with them effectively.…First, as a leader, it's your duty…and responsibility to face the challenge.…When you accept the role as a leader, it's no longer…acceptable to look the other way and avoid the conflict.…In a literal sense, you're being paid to deal…with any and all difficult employees who report to you.…Second, managing difficult employees effectively will be…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining the appropriate intervention
- Defusing charged conversations
- Refocusing slackers
- Getting employees to show up on time
- Redirecting habitual complainers
- Engaging employees that always resist change
- Standing up to bullies
- Encouraging employees that can't handle feedback
- Helping people with personal problems
- Dealing with gossips
- Knowing when to say goodbye to an employee<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.