Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video What does it cost to run a game company?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When you start an indie game company,…as much as you can…it's best to…try and keep your,…keep your expenses as low as possible…because you probably don't have any money coming in…because you're making a game.…I hear people,…people talk to me all the time…about where do I get money,…how do I get money to make this game,…I'm going to do a Kickstarter,…I'm going to do an Indiegogo…and my answer to these people all the time,…it's kind of funny, they're like…I can't make a game until I get money…and my answer is always,…you don't need any money to make a game.…
Other than you need money to survive.…You need a job,…which is probably not in the game industry…but the best thing you can do…is not take money from anyone.…Start your company,…start working on a game,…have a day job…but work at night,…work with people if you can…on sight together.…You'll get…way better synergy for your game.…You'll have a team that's tight…when they're in the same location…versus virtual…and you'll build a better company doing it that way…where everybody's in it for their…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.