- In this movie, I'll explain some useful things…that we can do with decimals.…So, what are decimals?…Decimals are just parts of a whole.…So, a really easy example to think about…is the decimal .25 is a quarter of the number 1.…If you think about money, that makes a lot of sense.…A quarter is a quarter of a dollar.…Another thing I want you to know about decimals…is what each place in the number stands for.…So, let's say we have a number.…1234.5678.…
So, what this means is that we have one thousand,…we have two hundreds, we have 3 tens, and 4 ones.…So, that's where we get 1234.…Now, after the decimal point…what this means is that we have…5 tenths of a one, we have 6 hundredths of a one,…we have 7 thousandths of a one,…we have 8 ten thousands of a one.…I know that's a little complicated…but usually for most of your purposes…you're just gonna be dealing with…the tenths and hundredths of a number.…
So, I'll give you can example where you might…use this in real life.…Let's say you have to round the price to the nearest dollar.…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.