Creativity is the cognitive process—meaning what happens in your brain—to generate an idea you've never had before, that is new, useful, and surprising.
- Let's start with some definitions.…First, what exactly is creativity?…Think of creativity as a process…that happens up here inside your head.…Your body functions with lots of processes…like digestive processes, breathing, and so on.…Creative thinking is just one more of them.…But your brain produces lots of thoughts…that aren't creative.…So what's the difference?…A creative thought is something that meets three criteria.…
It's new, it's useful, and it's surprising.…Let me explain these criteria.…An idea is new if you've never had it before.…Now, it may be new to you but not necessarily…new to the world, others may have had the idea before you.…Well that's okay because it's still new…from your perspective.…Useful means the idea can be put into practice…for somebody's benefit.…I call that process innovation.…
Now, surprising is the tricky one.…To be honest, I'm not sure how best to explain…what surprising means.…Maybe the best way is this.…You know how certain ideas just strike you in a way…that makes you slap your forehead and say…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding ways to learn creativity
- Understanding the barriers to creativity
- Applying the subtraction technique
- Applying the division technique
- Applying the multiplication technique
- Applying the attribute dependency theory
- Creating a creativity dream team
- Facilitating group creativity
- Selecting the best ideas