Develop your strategic leadership by studying and making insightful connections between your company, your market, and your customer.
- Can you anticipate the needs of others before they even ask you for something? How well can you predict what's going to happen in your industry over the next five years? Your answer to these questions indicate how well you're thinking like a leader, which can significantly impact your career advancement. In my book Invaluable, I explored how to help individuals increase the value of their time and quality of work life. In other words, how to become invaluable. This course, Thinking Like a Leader, is part of five course series on helping you become invaluable and get the most from your career.
In my coaching I refer to thinking like a leader as the invaluable factor of savvy. Savvy is about understanding your company, your market, and your customers. This understanding is a powerful tool because it can give you the foresight to have excellent timing. As an individual, you have little control over the forces that shape your company or the market as a whole. There's not much you can do to change what people are demanding from you.
However, you can understand their needs and wants to the point where you have impeccable timing. You'll often be able to predict their needs before they ask. Imagine an Olympic swimmer. It's taken years of hard work, dedication, and coaching to turn his body into a finely-tuned machine. He knows how to make the turns, how to breathe properly, and how to move through the water to get the maximum speed. He's ready for this moment. He lines up on the starting block and waits.
The gun fires, and while his competitors jump in the water, he's still standing on the starting block. It's this anticipation and the timing, or lack thereof, that indicates your ability to think like a leader. Many people wait to be told what to do in their job. While you certainly want to respond to requests from your co-workers and your customers, doing so doesn't make you invaluable. That's just what's expected. If, however, you can anticipate people's needs and fill them at just the right moment, that demonstrates leadership.
In this course I'll give you tools that will help you better understand your company, the market, and your customers. As you use these tools on a consistent basis, you'll begin to develop impeccable timing. And when you can do that, you'll be thinking like a leader.
Discover how you can identify trends, gather and address customer feedback, and proactively deliver what your company needs for competitive advantage.
This course is one of a series of five Dave Crenshaw courses based on his Invaluable teaching methodology for professional development.
- Understanding what makes your company money
- Discovering market trends
- Understanding your competition
- Knowing your customers and how to better serve them
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 01/03/2012. What changed?
A: This course was retitled, streamlined, and refined throughout, resulting in a slightly shorter runtime. We also added new graphics and a new welcome movie.