Grow your professional network and influence by building meaningful and lasting relationships.
- How many people do you have in your professional network? More importantly, how many of those people remember, know, and trust you? Your answers to these questions about the quality of your professional network will have a significant impact on your career. In my book, 'Invaluable,' I explored how to help individuals increase the value of their time and quality of work life. In other words, how to become invaluable. This course, Building your Professional Network, is part of a five-course series on helping you become invaluable and get the most from your career.
In my coaching, I refer to building your professional network as the invaluable factor of connection. Connection is a powerful factor when it comes to your career. Perhaps you've heard of the six degrees of separation? This is the idea that everyone in the world is on average, about six steps away through introduction from any other person in the world. Recent studies have shown this number may be closer to five, that one person is, on average, connected with any other person in the world, in as few as four steps, or five degrees.
I've experienced this firsthand in my own career. My first book deal came through a friend of a friend and recently, I had the opportunity to speak in Africa as a result of a Facebook connection. You also have nearly infinite opportunities because our world has become so connected. The power of building your professional connections can enhance your career, bring you more opportunities, and lead to more success in life. The invaluable factor of connection reflects today's reality, that those who have the most connections and the highest quality connections, are the ones who have the greatest opportunities to succeed.
This principle is nothing new, the idea that it's not what you know but who you know, is a timeless truth. This course will help you enhance the quantity of your connections and the quality of your connections, which will help you become more valuable through building your professional network.
This course is one of a series of five Dave Crenshaw courses based on his Invaluable teaching methodology for professional development.
- Understanding how networking enhances your career
- Getting out of your comfort zone
- Making recurring connections
- Using a customer relationship management (CRM) system
- Building relationships through social networking
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/03/2012. What changed?
A: This course was retitled, streamlined, and refined throughout, resulting in a slightly shorter runtime. We also added new graphics and a new welcome movie.