Get an introduction to the Professional of Human Resources (PHR) certification, including requirements, topics, and scoring.
- Deciding to pursue HR certification is one of the best career decisions you can make. In a global research study conducted by the HR Certification Institute, 97% of employers said that it was important for HR professionals to be certified. In fact, certification was the most valued credential after receiving a graduate degree and certified HR Pros held the highest level positions in their companies. Hi, I'm Joanne Walters and I've been a certified HR pro for most of my HR career.
I've also coauthored books on preparing for various HR certification exams. I entered the HR profession after many years in financial services, information technology, and education. But why HR? What makes HR such an intriguing profession? Well, a good HR pro can remain impartial and can make decisions based on facts, not emotions. You don't lack emotion, but you understand how important it is for employees to know that they are being heard, not judged.
That's why I got into HR. I wanted to be that arbiter of justice, so to speak, for employees who felt minimized or dismissed. Once you've made the choice to become an HR Pro, you must remain current on HR trends, best practices, and legislation. Certification is one way to demonstrate that commitment. This course will provide you with the foundation you need to begin studying for and passing your Professional in Human Resources Certification exam.
Disclaimer: This course is not produced nor endorsed by HRCI®.
- Name the four traditional organizational structures.
- Explain the rights an employee has when they are affected by a reduction in force (RIF).
- List the five motivational theories.
- Identify the differences between the entitlement and pay-for-performance compensation strategies.
- Determine which of the five generations is considered the first true digital natives.
- Recall the duties of a chief information officer.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/05/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover risk and change management, learning and development, and total rewards. In addition, the following topics were updated: PHR exam outline and HR’s strategic focus.